In this section we try to give a brief overview of the various Reiki systems that exist today. Today, there have been many systems of Reiki and should have some clear ideas. First, we must have clear concepts of the history of Reiki. Reiki comes from the hands of a man called Mikao Usui, hence the term Reiki Usui. Reiki births by the hands of Usui so it is not possible for a Reiki system to be not Usui.
I divide the evolution of Reiki into two main sections. Western Reiki and Tradicional Japanese Reiki. The Western Reiki is the Japanese who came through Mrs. Hawayo Takata, who landed in Hawaii and from there spread to California and then to the Western world. In the section History of Reiki you can find more information about this. From Reiki that Mrs. Takata brought us they appeared several systems:
- Usui Shiki Reiki Ryoho: This system, although it has a Japanese name, is from the western line. Means "Usui System of natural healing." Reiki is a system that has tried to remain true to the teachings of Hawayo Takata. This is the system that continues to spread and disseminate the Reiki Alliance. Association captained by Takata's niece, Phyllis Lei Furumoto. This education system is divided into three levels: first, second and expertise. Just use the 4 original symbols of Reiki, Takata Version: Cho Ku Rei, Sei-He-Ki, Hon-Sha-Ze-Sho-Nen and Dai-Koo-Myo Usui.
- Usui Tibetan Reiki: This system was developed by the American master William L. Rand. They are basically Takata's teachings with some more added. Rand included a technique of healing as psychic surgery and a tuning of healing. Is a more open-minded than the last. It debts the Tibetan name to include two symbols of Tibetan origin and some Buddhist teachings. This system is taught in a total of 4 levels: first, second, third and expertise. In total, the system consists of 7 symbols, in some variants have until 9. Otherwise it is a purely Western Reiki. In addition to 4 Takata Reiki symbols, this system adds the following symbols: Dai-Ko-Myo Tibetan, Raku, Fire Serpent, Dragon Fire and Tummo.
There have been small independent teachers or teachers' associations have been passed on the Reiki as they felt, and following the line of Takata's teachings. These teachers have remained free from the constraints that dictate the major associations of Reiki. We have to thanks their work of to spread Reiki.
For some years there was a sort of power struggle, as some schools tried to have the exclusive of Reiki. Claiming that his lineage was pure, his teachings had not been manipulated, etc. You can not pretend to have the exclusivity of an universal thing. I can study with a teacher who had the worst possible lineages. But if that teacher has practiced every day and leads a life focused on love, the energy transmission will be magical and wonderful.
In the following diagram we can see the different lineages that have been derived from Western Reiki line:
The next major block is the block of Traditional Japanese Reiki. Call by this name only Reiki styles that derived from the teachings of Usui and wich did not leave Japan. By the 90's, some Western teachers went to Japan and could not found the Reiki anywhere. They began to establish schools of Reiki and teach Reiki to the Japanese. But they were japanese that practiced Reiki itself, but they had remained hidden until now, they came forward and began to spread their knowledge. From this were born several Traditional Japanese Reiki systems.
- Usui Reiki Ryoho Gakkai: This is the name of a company of teachers who founded the Usui itself and has survived to this day. Gazburo Ushida was whoreplaced as president of the association, when Usui died. This company remained hidden for many years and now the master Masaki Kondoh is president of the Gakkai. Many of his teachings still remain hidden but, step by step, this association has been sharing with the rest of the world their skills and knowledge.
- Reido Gakkai Reiki: This system derives from the teachings of the Gakkai and it is lead by the Japanese master Fuminori Aoki. It has some additions to the teachings of the Gakkai, but basically the differences are minimal. In this system was born the familiar symbol of Koriki which was inspired to Fuminori Aoki.
- Gakkai Gendai Reiki: This is another system derived from the teachings of the Gakkai and chairs the Master Hiroshi Doi. This system has some variants over others, and includes some more technical, but the differences between other systems of Reiki Traditional Japanese are slim.
- Komyo Reiki Kai: This system is named like the school of Traditional Japanese Reiki created by the master Hyakuten Inamoto. It differs from other systems do not come from the Gakkai. This system comes from the line of Hayashi teacher who remained in Japan and was also hidden for years. Includes some lessons and techniques, as well as original Usui symbols transmitted to Hayashi, namely: Zui-A, Fukuyu, Honjo-Ze-Shon and Dai-Koo-Myo (Japanese version). At present, the teacher Hyakuten Inamoto is considered the successor Mikao Usui for their high level of evolution.
- Jinkinden Reiki: Other Traditional Japanese Reiki system like Komyo Reiki Kai and also derived from the teachings of Hayashi.
In the following diagram we see the evolution of the lineage in Traditional Japanese Reiki:
At present, some Western Reiki teachers have developed their own systems from channeled information and symbols. Many of these systems have included the word Reiki in its name, they have used hand positions in Reiki or how to work with symbols. Although they are similar to Reiki, Reiki really can only call that which comes from Usui. Reiki systems derived from the teachings of Takata, Usui Tibetan Reiki, Shiki Ryoho, etc. or derived from Traditional Japanese Reiki, Gendai Reiki, Komyo Reiki Kai, etc. These are some of the systems that have appeared in recent years in the West wich are not from the line of teachings of Mikao Usui:
Karuna Reiki Prakriti, SKM or Seichim, Satori Reiki, Rainbow Reiki, Kundalini Reiki, Karuna Ki Reiki Ki ninth, BioReiki, Shambala Reiki, Tera Mai Reiki, Tibetan Reiki, Tantric, Violet Flame Reiki, Angelic Reiki, etc.
As you can see many new systems have appeared. Interestingly, all these systems claim to work with energies much higher than those of Usui Reiki, with powerful symbols and, of course, much more expensive courses. In any case, these systems can contain any teaching or symbol that works well and you feel attuned. My intention here is not to belittle any system, but rather to point out some things. One never knows where to find your triggers, but many of these systems have grown out of a clear economic ambition. Keep in mind that among all the teachers who have developed a system of Reiki, Mikao Usui Master is the only one who reached the state of Satori. This means it is the only teacher, as far as I know, that created an ego-free system, designed for spiritual growth and healing. A simple system with a series of useful tools and a philosophy based on love and respect.
Article written by Miquel Vidal.